Friday, July 24, 2009

Even though my son is a young man, he's a man nonetheless. . . .

On the way home from church (seems to be our best conversations are during this time), my 12 year old son, Dill said he had a girlfriend. I replied, that's great, better than a boyfriend. This made him smile. He said, naw mom just kidding. I told him there was definitely NO RUSH. He said that there are some pretty girls in his Sunday school class (yeah).

I, being the mother I am, reminded him that its not all about looks. I told him that there are a lot of beautiful girls out there who have ugly dispositions or are mean and hateful and a lot of not so pretty women who are beautiful because of all their beauty on the inside. So here's his reply - "Mom, we are still young (referring to his 15 year old brother and himself), we are just going to date them so we are not interested in what kind of person they are on the inside, what type of mom they will be, we just care about what they look like. When we are ready to marry a girl, then we will look at what she's like inside but now we are just going to date." Oh dear LORD, I almost hit the curb on that one, seriously! I couldn't fault him because I've suspected men have taken this stance since the beginning of time and because I birthed him, I know he has all the male parts which makes him one in the same. Talk about harsh reality 101. I was truly stunned silent the rest of the way home.

On a side note, last night I told this same son that his father was up at 6:00 a.m. and he scrubbed the stove. He said to me, "I LOVE THIS MAN", I had to laugh because I was going to say the same thing, guess he's still got part of me in him - - thank God, especially after his previous statement. There could be hope yet, at least I pray this to be true!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy dog poop. Yep, he is a man. Damnit!

I'm so happy (however) Boo is doing better. To say you need some relief is an understatement!

Love you girl!

Anonymous said...

That cracked me up! I wonder how many guys I have gone out with (or not gone out with) that have had that same mentality?